Walnut Shell abrasive is a hard and fibrous product made from crushed walnut shells in accordance with International Trade Standard. It is the most common type of soft abrasive for industrial use. Walnut Shell has excellent durability and is now widely used to blast clean and polish soft metals, glass, fiberglass, wood, plastic, and stone.
Walnut Shell is used in both tumbling and vibratory applications for polishing gems and jewelry. It also works as a de-burring and de-flashing product for molding, casting and electrical parts.
Walnut Shell is ground to various sizes ranging from coarse to extra fine, allowing for a fine degree of control over the desired finish. Like other soft media, Walnut Shell cleans and removes matter from surfaces without damaging underlying material.
- Removal of paint, flash, burrs and other flaws in plastic, alloy die casting, and electronics
- Cleaning automotive parts
- Cleaning aircraft engines and turbines
- Removing graffiti
- Architectural cleaning and restoration of steel, wood, brick, stone, or concrete
- Polishing and cleaning of fine metals and alloys
Advantages of Walnut Shells
- Wide range of grades available, including custom orders
- Gentle – clean surfaces without damaging underlying material
- Porous – can be used to absorb contaminants
- Organic: renewable and environmentally friendly
- 100% silica-free
- Mil-spec approved: MIL-G-5634
Available Sizes and Profiles
Walnut Shell is available in more than 15 sizes. We stock the following:
|6 – 10 Mesh (coarse)|
|8 – 12 Mesh (coarse)|
|12 – 20 Mesh (medium)|
|18 – 40 Mesh (fine)|
|Other sizes available on request|
This is a 100% natural product and contains no silica.
|Bulk Density (dry packing):||22-74 lbs/ft3|
|Specific Gravity:||1.2 – 1.4|
|Grain Shape:||Sub-angular to Angular|
|Hardness:||3 – 4 Mohs|
- 50-lb. paper bags, 40 bags/pallet